RSS

Tuesday, October 5

Surgery Day

10/5 @ 4am - Wake up and shower with special pre-op soap
430 am - Leave For Hospital
5am - Check in at hospital
- in addition to paperwork one of the first things you may be asked to do is pee in a cup - literally only a couple of drops. I had peed right when I woke up, so they had to to an extra blood draw instead.
6:am - Shot of Blood Thinner (in hip - this one burns for about a minute)
6:15 - Shot of Lydocane (I requested to numb had before IV) but I had a bad reaction, regurgitated :( Not sure if it is due to my shock reflex* or a reaction to the drug
6:30 - IV (no numbing) not too bad - my nurse was great and dind't feel it at all. Nurse took blood at the same time.
7:00 - Met Anesthesiologist who asked a billion history questions and described procedure
7:15 - Nurse gave drugs for nausea and pain
7:20 - Anestesiologist gave drugs "to relax"
7:30 - Wheeled into Surgery, some time spent putting pressure cuffs on feet, strapping me to table (I think I got another dose of a relaxant). Surgeon said a quick Hello, asked for last minute questions.
7:45 - Procedure Began
9:00 - Surgery over, Surgeon briefs my mom in waiting room. I go to recovery, my mom goes home.
10:00 - I wake up in recovery. I have a sharp pain on my left side (where the majority of the incisions are), I get one dose of pain killer via IV
10:20 - Pain remains sharp, another dose of pain killer in IV
10:45 - Nurse brings liquid pain killer (pain was beginning to numb) and water, sit up
10:45 - 11:15 ish, slowly sip 8 oz water, asked to sit up more, have to blow in contraption to exercise lings
11:30 - get dressed, fit with binder
12:00 - released with liquid painkiller (doesn't seem to work for me)
12:20 - 4 pm - At home, slept
4:00 pm - Ate 2 oz vanilla yogurt
7-10 pm - SLOOOOOOWLY sipped slim fast

----
Experience: OK, the worst part for me was BEFORE surgery when I threw up because of the shots. Nurses were great and very helpful. I was allowed to sleep after surgery and slowly drift into consciousness so I didn't feel the time-travel feeling. You DO have to really concentrate on breathing deeply after surgery to get enough oxygen... it was harder than it sounded.

I didn't feel any pain or discomfort from the intubation in my throat. All I could feel were my incisions... especially my "Big: One. I don't think I'm feeling gas pain, as my pain is localized to my incisions, but you never know. I have gas X strips, and in recovery I burped a lot (I also got mild hiccups after first sips of water, which was NOT fun). Nurse said if you feel the urge to burp or fart, don't fight it... it's how you get rid of the gas.

(I have one incision between my boobs, but BELOW the bra bottome line, another one 6-8" below that one, but about 1.5" above the belly button, two to either side of the lower button, about 1" higher, and 4" to either side, and one LONG incision (about 2.5-3" about 1" below the upper incision, and kinda between the lateral incisions... smaller incisions are about 1", maybe slightly off. i didn't measure. (see *marks)

(Incision Diagram:
[  {    }  {    }  ] (boobies)
[         *          ] (upper incision)
[           ***    ] (big incision)
[      *      *     ] (midline incisions)
[         *          ] (lower incision)
[         o          ] (belly button)

Advise: Don't pee in the morning before surgery, you'll be
asked to once you get in, if you aren't there is plenty of time to do so.

Don't hesitate to ASK for numbing creme/shot before IV, etc. Ladies, you will likely be asked to remove panties as well... but you can ask for the hospital mesh panties they are a bit ridiculous, but in there were times where I had to kick off the blankets because I got too hot - you dont want to broadcast yourself.

Also, tell them exactly what you are feeling, as soon as you are feeling it ... nausea, dizzy, weak, cold, hot, thirsty, etc... The nurses are there to help you feel better, not just to get you ready to discharge.

I was only able to comforably sleep on my right side... for some reason sleeping on my back wasn't as comforable.

CRAWL (literally) into bed, it's easier to reposition yourself that way than to drag your legs. To get out, roll onto your side and slide off, one leg at a time.

WEAR THE BINDER> I took mine off for 5 minutes and was miserable, could;nt even sit down as easily.

*(I have a shock reflex to pain, including, shots, blood draws, sharp injuries where I usually faint or get nautious(

Oh, and I asked to keep my gown... halloween is coming up after all.

I know I missed a lot, so please let me know if you have any questions about the process. For me, I had no nerves or anxiety going in, and was only wary of the needles... and I think If i had just "grinned and bear it", as I ultimatley had to with the IV, I wouldn;t have had the nausea/vomiting unpleasantness.

0 comments: